When you first look at it, using cardboard tubes to show your creative side seems like an unlikely solution. However, when you consider the versatility of art, there truly are no limitations.
In this article, we are going to explain how you can use or even reuse cardboard tubes to be able to create some of your favourite characters, which are sure to be popular in any environment, from schools to retail businesses.
It is easy enough to get your hands on materials needed for creating characters, in fact, there is a full character DIY kit that is provided by Postal Tube Shop. However, if you are trying to reuse old cardboard tubes, you need to make sure you have the correct materials as there are several different sizes of tubes that you will need.
Here is a step by step way to create the foundation for your character:
- To create a cardboard character, start by constructing the base. This platform will provide stability for your hands and also serve as foundation to ensure that it stands upright when you’re done with construction. You’ll need 2 holes in this base for the legs of your figure to fit into securely.
- You will need to find long cardboard tubes for the legs. Once you have them, plant those into holes of your choosing. For now though, hold onto two more pieces of cardboard so that we can make arms later on!
- After finishing the legs, you will need a wide cardboard tube for the body of your character. The torso should be wider than any other piece and can be made with what works best! Just make sure to use strong adhesive because this is going to hold everything together.
- Attached to either side of your character, you’ll want two long cardboard tubes to act as arms. To create hands for your creature, one of the most popular looks is to use an old box and tape it together into a cube, but manipulating cardboard into a sphere shape also works very well.
- For the head, you want to use a cardboard tube that is thin and short. After attaching it to the top of your torso with hot glue or tape, many people choose to decorate their heads using paint or stickers, while some insist on trying to use styrofoam as it’s easy, but we think it does not look realistic enough on its own.
From here, it is up to you to customise your character to make it have a stronger resemblance. You now have the base, so adding things like a cape is where you can allow your creative side to run wild.
Be sure to make sure you have the right equipment in terms of paint or stickers so that you can make sure your character looks as close to the real thing as possible. From there, it should be easy enough to use a picture of your character as a reference and match those specifications.
It’s important to make the features of your face easily visible when you’re decorating it. You can use markers, paint or stickers if that sounds like something fun for you- but some people have more artistic talent than others and may want their own take on things!
Once this is done, you can expect to see a finished product that looks something like this:
These characters are sure to be very popular with children, making them perfect for decorating in the case of special events. Not only this, but they can be great in capturing the attention of young minds when it comes to businesses like retail and even restaurants.
We hope you were able to learn something from this article and allow your creative side to run wild. Be sure to send us some pictures of your finished characters and we will respond as soon as we can, although we’re sure that they will look great!